Older homes are often very charming and full of character. You love your older home because it has personality and history. Unfortunately, older houses also come with some quirks that can be dangerous to your health. Here are five things to get checked out in your old house to ensure that both your health and your home remain in tiptop shape:


Mold is not only gross, it's also something that can do a lot of damage to your property and lead to serious health issues if left untreated. Mold loves to breed in damp, dark spaces, especially bathrooms and inside walls and ceilings. Mold is often found in older homes, especially ones where there has been any kind of water damage, for example, that caused by burst pipes over the years.

If you see black spots forming on your ceiling or walls, smell an unpleasantly musty odor, or if anyone in your family has started to experience unexplained skin rashes or respiratory issues, it's a good idea to hire a mold inspector to come check out your property.

Faulty Wiring

According to the National Fire Protection Association, faulty wiring is the biggest cause of home fires. This is of particular concern in older homes, since these homes were built before fire codes were as strictly enforced or uniform.

Common signs of outdated or faulty electrical wiring include lights that regularly flicker or go dim, fuses that go out on a regular basis, outlets that shock you when you touch them, or an unexplained burning smell. Ignoring old wiring instead of having an electrician inspect it can put your family, home, and belongings in serious danger.


Before people knew how dangerous it was, asbestos was a very popular building material because it has great insulating properties and is naturally fire-retardant. The dangerous qualities of asbestos far outweigh its benefits, however, as asbestos exposure leads to lung disease and even cancer. If you suspect you have asbestos in your attic or walls, it's critical to have an asbestos removal company inspect your home. If asbestos is found, they will help you come up with a safe asbestos removal plan.

Lead-based Paint

Lead is a mineral that can be quite toxic to humans and animals. Unfortunately, before lead's toxicity was discovered, it was a very popular ingredient in paint. Many older home interiors were painted with lead-based paints, and if your older home hasn't been remodeled, there's a good chance the toxic paint is still there.

According to the EPA, this is especially troubling if you have small children, elderly family members, or if you are pregnant. Be sure to have an expert come remove the paint, as the removal process can release lead into your home's atmosphere.


Dust mites are tiny pests that trigger allergies and asthma in many people. If you or someone in your family has unexplained allergies, they could definitely be caused by mites and it's best to have an allergy test completed at your doctor's office. Dust mites are especially common in older homes, since the older the home the more time there has been for dust to accumulate.

Dust mites are also more common in humid climates. Keeping your home as clean as possible, frequently washing bedding, towels and curtains, vacuuming your upholstered furniture, and using a dehumidifier if you live in a more humid environment are all great ways to reduce or eliminate dust mites.

If you suspect that any of these five things are present in your home, it's a good idea to have an expert come inspect it right away. You can also click here for more info